Monday, September 27, 2010

Half or Whole?

Let me preface this by saying that some of the wisest things I've ever heard have come out of Bret Carter's mouth. If you don't know Bret Carter... I'm sorry. Poor you. Anyways, during a session at Kamp once, we were all as a group talking about relationships, and he said, "so many people say 'Oh, I was only half a person until I met them.' Why not bring two complete people to a relationship?"

Woah. Who wants to be half a person?

Right now, I'm single, and I'm a complete person. My worth is not in a guy. My worth is in my relationship with God, my personality, my friends, my talents, in what God has given me. Who am I to say that God hasn't given me enough? That I'm not completely satisfied yet? Do I really have the audacity to say that I'm only half a person until I find a guy?

Would it be nice to have one? Absolutely. Is it wrong to want to find someone? No. There's nothing wrong with relationships. But do I NEED one? Is it essential to my survival? Am I only half a person 'til I have one? No.

I am one, complete, wholly me person. Looking for one, complete, wholly him person.

"I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." -Philippians 4:12-13

<3

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely on target. When you bring two half people together, you don't get a whole... people aren't mathematical equations. This, IMHO, is a case of people trying to fill their God-shaped hole with a person and not only does it NOT work, it's dangerous. Eternally dangerous.

    ReplyDelete