Saturday, December 31, 2011

An Awfully Big Adventure

Year-end blog posts are so annoying.

Some people can pull them off. I can't. I'm not old enough to be wise, rarely articulate enough to be profound. I'm a little too flowery to give a straight recap of my year. I'm too nostalgic not to talk about it at all. I want to ramble about my high hopes for next year, but to be quite honest the concept of 2012 is freaking me out a little bit.

At my kindergarten graduation they announced us as the class of 2012. At the time that was lightyears in the future. Now, it's right around the corner. Five months left. Five months. I can't decide if I'm overjoyed or terrified.

2011 was a good year. A crucial year. A turning point year in several ways. It contained a lot of shining moments that I'll remember for the rest of my life. The fireworks at Disneyland. Singing The Mountain Top song with Savannah on top of Devils Head. The Friday night Fall Show curtain call. Those little split seconds will stay with me until my dying day.

So saying goodbye to this year is bittersweet. It's been a lovely one. But that's the first adventure I'll have, I guess. A brand new year, currently free of mistakes and errors. And it's going to be a year for adventures, believe me.

I'm going to hit the stage in my first and last high school musical and have an absolute blast. I'm going to endeavor to make new friends even in the final hours. I'm going to graduate high school. I'm going to go to college. I'm going to take my first speaking engagement ever and see what I make of it.

Yup. Sounds like an adventure to me!

It doesn't count as an adventure if it isn't a little scary. I'm scared out of my wits. But it's the anticipatory scared, the going-up-the-hill-of-the-rollercoaster scared, the fantastic scared that you can never quite get enough of.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :)

All year I've been ranting about how I'm still a kid. I figure kids have adventures better than anyone.

So long, 2011. You'll go down as one of my favorites.

Hello, 2012. You've been a long time coming.



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment