Saturday, July 7, 2012

If This Isn't Nice...

Those of you who know me well know that I'm a little bit of a quote fiend. I actually have a literal list of my favorites, and it's about a mile long. Being a writer, I guess I'm always searching for the right words, and quotes are proof that it's possible to find them, that someone was able to write or say something breathtaking and inspiring that lived beyond themselves.


I came across this one the other day, and it's been on my mind ever since:


"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -Kurt Vonnegut


Even though I like quotes, they don't usually stick in my head for as long as this one has, but I'm thankful this one has stayed. In the last week I have more deeply appreciated several small joys that I wouldn't normally have thought too much about: hugs from my best friends after being gone a long time, conversations that require no effort to keep going, lying in bed and realizing I don't have to get up yet, having time to read a good book. And as it turns out, happiness that's acknowledged becomes even better.


I guess all I'm trying to say is if you revel in your happiness when it comes, your life feels so much happier, even though it's probably about the same as it's always been. Enjoy your life, because if this isn't nice, I don't know what is.



No comments:

Post a Comment