Monday, November 5, 2012

Cherry Tree Lane

The weathervane next to your chimney turns
Again, and since the gray skies now grow bright
With colors dancing on the wings of kites, 
My time is spent, and though my warm heart yearns
To bring you with me in my travel case
Crammed in next to my coatrack and my books--
Your impish smiles folded into nooks
So I can take them out on rainy days.
Or better yet, to scorn ungrateful hearts
Who needed to be told your love was rare--
But no. The rooftops call through ashen air, 
Proclaiming there are stories yet to start.
Your happy ever after now begins, 
So I will barter passage with the wind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey peeps. I wrote this a couple of days ago. 

I was thinking deep collegiate thoughts the other day about how life changes and people come and go in each other's lives.  As a dear friend of mine would say, "The curtain goes up, and the curtain goes down," and that applies to people too. Sometimes people need your friendship desperately, but sometimes those same people stop needing you, even though you really want them to need you. While that's a serious bummer, you have to have a good gauge of when you've played your part in their life, and it's time to let them do their own thing. The great thing about it, though, is that it's not necessarily a bad thing. There are wonderful people and adventures still out there that need you. 

...And then, I thought, "That's just like Mary Poppins." 

And this poem was born. 

I kinda wanted the Poppins references to be sort of subtle-- the chimney and rooftops, and the never-ending travel case, and traveling by wind (like with the umbrella). Cherry Tree Lane is also the street the Bankses live on. Hopefully the references are obvious enough that maybe it made you think of Mary Poppins, but you didn't realize I did it on purpose. That's kind of what I was going for. 

Hope you enjoyed it! Critique welcome! (I don't always say that, but please. Critique if you wish.)

"Practically perfect people never allow sentiment to muddle their thinking." -Mary Poppins

No comments:

Post a Comment