Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles.

On August 26, 1964, the Beatles played a show at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
On August 26, 2011, they came back.

My daddy and I had a date last night. He surprised me with tickets to go see "1964," a Beatles Tribute band.

IT WAS RIDICULOUS MAN.

One of my great regrets in life is that I will never see the Beatles play. That would've been something else. However, seeing as George and John are no longer with us, it's a dream far beyond my reach.

1964 is the next best thing. Seriously.

They wear costumes so they look like the Beatles. They play the exact same instruments. They sound just like the Beatles. They move just like the Beatles. THEY ARE THE BEATLES.

And maybe the best part is that they play early Beatles stuff (pre-Sgt. Pepper's), which is in my opinion their better music. They ended up playing literally all my favorite songs (Ok, maybe they missed a couple, but they can't sing the whole catalog). I don't remember the order anymore but they played these songs:

-"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
-"Please Please Me"
-"From Me to You"
-"All My Loving"
-"This Boy"
-"Act Naturally"
-"Ticket to Ride"
-"When I Saw Her Standing There"
-"Can't Buy Me Love" (!!!!)
-"Twist and Shout"
-"And Your Bird Can Sing"
-"Taxman"
-"I Feel Fine"
-"You Can't Do That"
-"Hard Day's Night"
-"Drive My Car"
-"In My Life"
-"Til There Was You" (maybe my all time favorite just because it's in The Music Man)
-"Eight Days a Week" (the first Beatles song I ever heard)
-"Day Tripper"
-"She Loves You"

Yeah. It was just generally fantastic. I don't know how to explain it better.

And the thing about the Beatles is they're so anti-age-gap. I'm a teenager, there was a six year old sitting next to us, 20-somethings behind us, and 60-somethings a couple rows down. Modern music doesn't do that. Even your basic classic rock doesn't to the same extent. Only the Beatles, man. Only the Beatles.

ANYWAYS.

I've decided that I'm starting a feature on the blog called "Eight Days a Week." Every eight days I shall post the Beatles song of my choosing, whether for current relevance or just 'cause I like it. Today is appropriately "Eight Days a Week."



That is all.

(If you ever get the chance, go see 1964.)


No comments:

Post a Comment