Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Eight Days a Week... Literature Style

(I know what you're thinking. Eight Days a Week was yesterday. I forgot. My apologies.)

Sometimes I have a good explanation for the song of the week. This is one of those times.

I'm in AP English and we just started studying Shakespeare's King Lear. In the first act of the play you realize really quickly that King Lear is extremely vain (or insecure... maybe a little of both); he is constantly looking for approval and overbearing admiration from those around him. At one point, he brings in his three daughters (Goneril, Regan, and Cordelia, if you want to know) and expects them to express their love for him in words-- whoever pleases him the most with their "love" will get the most land. The whole point is basically that he tries to put a numerical value on honor and affection and love.

So this is what I think of.



Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment