Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive..."

My novel is hitting a wall, so I'm doing the only thing I know to fix it: writing about something else instead. :)

Today the world changed. Today is a truly great day in the history of music. Today the entire Beatles catalog became available for download on iTunes.

Oh. Joy. RAPTURE. :D

Okay, so maybe it's not the most amazing thing that ever happened, but I'm pretty excited about it. This makes it so much easier for us younger fans to get the music and not pay a completely ridiculous amount of money. (And while we're here, may I make it quite clear that I'm not one of those obnoxious teenagers who claims to be a Beatles fan just because it's cool but doesn't actually know a single Beatles song. I have an Abbey Road poster in my room and could sing you any song off Rubber Soul word for word. Yup. I'm a fan.) I bet this also means Michael Jackson's estate gave up the rights to the songs, which is WONDERFUL. I mean, really, the fact that Paul McCartney couldn't even recovered HIS OWN SONGS on an album was rather sad.

I think the wonderful, timeless thing about the Beatles is how simple they are. Sure, they throw in their beautiful metaphors, but it doesn't take a massive intellect to understand them, and their messages are so universal. (I mean, "I Am the Walrus". Who doesn't relate to that?) For real though, some of the most inspirational songs of all time came from the pens and voices of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

So, my playlist for today (because I like lists) in no particular order:
1. "Till There Was You" -- Yes. Yes yes yes. "The Music Man" + the Beatles = pure gold.
2. "She Loves You" -- This may be the catchiest song of all time, even if the lyrics are simple.
3. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" -- Ditto the last song.
4. "Ticket to Ride" -- My mom used to play the Carpenters' version of this all the time. And I HATED it. And then I discovered the Beatles version. And I fell in love. :)
5. "Penny Lane" -- I will go there someday. I will. And Abbey Road too. And I will walk across Abbey Road barefoot and pretend I'm dead Paul. :D
6. "Yellow Submarine" -- simply because no Beatles playlist is complete without this song.
7. "Eleanor Rigby"-- I LOVE this song. Especially when I feel like a lonely people. "Waits at the window, wearing a face that she keeps in the jar by the door..."
8. "Eight Days a Week"-- I think this was the first time I ever heard the Beatles on the radio. I was in about 6th grade. "I have a feeling this is the start of a beautiful friendship..." Hehe. I love it.
9. "Drive My Car"-- this is definitely my ringtone right now. So catchy.
10. "Help!"-- So simple yet so true.
11. "Paperback Writer"-- Because this is my theme song. Of course.
12. "I Will" -- This is the kind of song I wish somebody would sing to me. It's so cute and sweet. :)
13. "Hey Jude"-- One because it's a classic, and two because I love it. All the way down to the five minutes of "Naaah nah nah nanananah, nanananah, hey Jude."
14. "Blackbird" -- How does anybody not like this song?
15. "Can't Buy Me Love" -- Like several other Beatles songs, this just makes me feel happy inside for no good reason. It's just fun.
16. "Across the Universe" - "Kangaroo Day, um..." haha. Just kidding, that's not what he says there, but it sounds funny. It's a really pretty song otherwise though. :)
17. "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-Da" -- Life goes on!

Alright...
As a "Paperback Writer", "I Will" listen to the Beatles while I "Drive My Car" down "Penny Lane" and all "Across the Universe". I would have taken a train "Yesterday", but I couldn't get a "Ticket to Ride" even "With a Little Help From My Friends." I suppose I could have taken a "Yellow Submarine" but I don't really need one because "I am the Walrus".... okay. I'm done with this. Hahahaha.

Thanks for wasting your time on this.

Long live Paul and Ringo!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment