Thursday, January 27, 2011

Library Love

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Guess where I went today?

There are people that like to read, and there are people that love to read. And then there are people like me who have their library card number memorized.

I love the library. There's just something about it that mesmerizes me. I love being in an aisle lined with books and knowing they're all waiting to tell you something. In fact, I always feel just a twinge awkward when I'm standing there and somebody else walks into the same aisle. My reverie is interrupted. The books are confused. They can't whisper to two people at once. Some of the library's charm goes away when you lose perfect solitude.

Anyways, today I was in the non-fiction section for most of the day for two reasons:
1. YA literature falls into about three categories for me anymore: either I've read it, it's dirty, or it's too popular to actually be on the shelf.
2. The poetry books are in the non-fiction section.

Don't you love that? Poetry is non-fiction. Because anyone who writes poetry they can't relate to isn't a poet. Aaaahh. I realized that today and it made me quite happy. Anyways, I found a lot of fun stuff.

Books I got that I'm excited to read:
1. 150 Love Letters You Were Never Meant To Read. It's literally scans of people's letters. With permission, of course. The whole idea really intrigued me. I flipped around and there's one that said "I bought whipped cream" in really big letters. And that's all. People are weird.
2. This massive poetry anthology that's gotta be 600 pages or more. Because I love poems.
3. Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us About Ourselves and Our Society. Ahahaha! Awesome! The only thing that could make this excite me more is if it was called Spiderman on the Couch instead.
4. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Yes. I am relatively ashamed.

That's not all, but those were the ones that came to mind.

Anyways, I'm in the poetry aisle and I see a couple people from school with a librarian, looking for some kind of book for a term paper. I don't exactly know them, but at a school as small as mine, you pretty much know who everybody is. And I'm standing there with a bag full of twelve thick books that's making my shoulder ache, and they kind of give me "the look." The "alrighty then" look. (I don't know how to describe it, but I dare say you know what I'm talking about. Who hasn't gotten that look?) And it occurs to me that they're NOT carrying twelve books over their shoulders, and they DON'T know where everything is, and they probably WOULDN'T be here unless they needed something for school.

And for a minute, I feel kinda weird.

But only for a minute.

Because then I realize that they will never understand the beauty of reading John Keats out loud. And the books don't whisper to them.

And I feel better.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment