Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Week in Retrospect

In the immortal words of Little Bill, "Hello, friend." :D

It's been a long week, despite the fact that I'm now going into a four day weekend. (Joy! Rapture!) Some weeks are easier to get through than others, but this was a hard one. My brain is fried. I don't have the energy to write anything that sounds good. So I'ma gonna write lists.

COOL GOD THOUGHTS:
1. Alright, so on Monday, my locker was jammed. And I mean, JAMMED. That thing was not going to open. I was going to be late for class. I was so incredibly frustrated. I'd kicked the locker three times already and it just wasn't going to budge.
So I prayed about it. And the very next time I tried, my locker opened without a hitch. There are people dying and people being born and people with all kinds of issues all over the world praying to God, and He still has the time to deal with my stupid locker problem. That amazes me.
2. In Matthew 26, Jesus is getting ready to go to the cross, and when Judas kisses him to betray him, He says, "Friend, do what you have come for" (Matthew 26:50). Friend. He's sending Him to His death, and He calls him friend! That's incredible to me.
3. In John 11, Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead. Two cool thoughts about that (courtesy of my daddy): first, He waited four days after Lazarus' death to bring him back. The Jewish culture by this point believed that the spirit lingered around the body for THREE days after one's death trying to get back into the body (not inspired, obviously, but it's in the Mishna.) So Jesus waited FOUR days to make sure no one could think that it was just the spirit getting back into the body. Cool. Secondly, verse 44 of that chapter says "The man who had died came forth, bound hand and foot with wrappings." It's not until after he's out of the tomb that Jesus tells the people to untie him! So he had to FLOAT out of the tomb. Sweetness.

CURRENT EVENTS:
1. The Grammies upset me. Justin Bieber was nominated? Really? Lady Gaga won best album?? Really? was Modern music. It makes me weep. Bitterly. However, there is hope. Because Mumford and Sons performed with my boys THE AVETT BROTHERS!! (Who immediately jumped to the number 2 album on iTunes, and are still in the top ten.) At last the world catches on. And I have the distinction of saying I caught on before that happened. :) Anyways, they were amazing. I love how the best performance on the entire awards show came from a group that wasn't nominated. *shakes head*
2. I don't watch TV that much. I watch Food Network, Boy Meets World, That Girl (on DVD), and Jeopardy. So, needless to say, I was pleased to witness the historical moment in television that was the Jeopardy IBM Challenge. You have to understand that I've been watching Jeopardy for YEARS. I saw the entire Ken Jennings run (except for the day he lost... and yes, I'm still a little bitter about that). So seeing a COMPUTER beat Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, by a ridiculously large margin, was... wow. I'm torn between appreciating the progress of science and fearing the digression in our quality of life once the robots take over. It's a good thing Ken Jenning's facial expressions provided some comic relief.

SCHOOL:
1. On Wednesday I had a big physics test. I got an 89 on it. In AP, that's a big deal for me. Small victories. They make me happy. :)
2. Also on Wednesday, I had to perform a fight scene in Acting. We've been doing stage combat for the last week or so, and that was our combination. It works well in large public settings too. I "slapped" Aimee in the break room at the church building on Wednesday night and confused everyone. Great fun.
3. We're FINALLY done talking about Huckleberry Finn. That being said, my rant on the censorship of the n-word: I would never use that word. I get that it's offensive to a lot of people. But if it offends you, don't read it! Don't tamper with a classic like that. First, Twain uses that word to strengthen his satire; he's not using it to degrade or offend. Secondly, if you take it out, you lose a piece of the history the book represents. As is, it's realistic and true to the time. Take that away and the novel loses a ton. That's my thought. *steps off soapbox*
4. Registered for classes: AP Biology, AP English, AP Latin, AP Calculus (the only one I'm not excited about... but I have to take it), Government/Econ, and Concert Choir. (Concert Choir is audition, so we'll see if I make it! Be crossing your fingers for me!)

MISCELLANEOUS:
1. I found Tuck Everlasting at Sam's Club. I've been looking for that movie FOREVER (well, for the last year). It may be one of the only movies that I like better than the book. In the book, the heroine is about twelve, but in the movie she's older, so there's romance. And I'm one of the biggest saps on the planet. Anyways, good movie.
2. I didn't have enough present injustices to make this a whole category, but I definitely have one. Gnomeo and Juliet. Need I say more? Yes. I need say more. Shakespeare is rolling over in his grave. Screaming. Angrily. (On a side note, fall play next year is Romeo and Juliet. Ha.)
2. This song has been stuck in my head all week:



Ah. I love Adam Young.
And this one....



(I think I've posted that exact video before but it just don't get any better than that. I can't believe that sounds even better live than it does on the CD.)

And this one... because it's cute and catchy. And is going to be the backdrop for the script me and Aimee are going to write for Script Frenzy.



And since I'm on YouTube, here's a hilarious video I found quite a while ago and just didn't ever bother to share with you.



Yeeeaaahhhh, I'm even nerdier than you thought, ain't I?

Sigh. As my mom would say, "I guess I don't know much." Thanks for keepin' up with me. Much love.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment