Friday, March 11, 2011

Legacy


When the atomic bomb went off in Hiroshima, Japan at the end of World War II, it literally burned shadows into the surfaces that weren't themselves flammable. This picture to the right was taken in the 1960s, nearly twenty years after the dropping of the bomb. The heat was so intense that the shadows created a cool spot, so the impression left stood out from the rest of the carnage in terms of how much it was burned. The people and things who cast the shadows were effectually vaporized, but their shadows remained behind.

This man, without even trying to, shielded the space under him from the heat, and it created a lasting impression on that space, even though he has been gone for over sixty years now. How much more can we do when we intentionally try to leave people with the impact of the gospel?

Leave a legacy.

3 comments:

  1. Woah that's completely insane! I have never heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't either until history yesterday! Very interesting. So I thought I would share.
    I have to get you RMWR stuff, Abbie!! I'll email you soon and very soon! Miss you on facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete